Pages

Friday 27 February 2015

Measuring Up The 2x4


This week I decided to head a bit further afield. Luckily my friend Haley knew of a great breakfast restaurant in Wainfleet called the 2x4 Diner. Having a bit of trouble locating it on my GPS, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was located at a major intersection right near the edge of Wainfleet. We had to wait several minutes to be seated as there was a group of rambunctious youngsters sitting in the back. Apparently they were part of a local hockey tournament. Our waitress seemed frustrated by her previous customers and was delighted that Haley and I had simple orders. She ordered the barbecue chicken omelet, and I ordered a western sandwich.
The western sandwich (above) and barbecue omelet (below)
I love western sandwiches as they provide all the key ingredients of a breakfast (eggs, toast, meat) all easily compartmentalized in a tasty sandwich. Unfortunately, the western the 2x4 produced was not very good. The vegetables tasted aged and the meat was not very prevalent. What the 2x4 was lacking in western sandwich prowess, it made up for in creative wall murals. There was a happy full length mural located next to the cash register, and friendly cowboy lassoing patrons towards the bathrooms.
The cowboy

The mural near the cash regiser
















Overall, the ambiance of the 2x4 is what you would expect from a small town breakfast restaurant. It seems like a great option if you live near by, but may not be worth the drive if you are coming from further afield. I wanted to give it two bacon strips out of five, but Haley insisted that her omelet was good and I needed to give it a three.


Highlight: The accommodating staff

Honourable mention: the barbecue chicken omelet (apparently)


Bacon strips: Three strips (or two depending on my assessment of the omelet)

2 comments:

  1. My omelette was so good. My dad explained his theory of getting the western omelette and a side of toast - you get more food in general with the omelette, plus he likes to have a little extra toast as a vehicle for jam. Glad we could bro down over breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great, Doug! Not sure what I'm more impressed by, your post or the fact that you drove all the way to Wainfleet for your blog hahaha Judging by your review, though, I think I may avoid the 2x4!

    ReplyDelete