Pages

Friday 6 February 2015

Butterballs



This week I decided to explore Butterballs in Jordan, a restaurant that I had not been to since I was very young. Luckily not much had changed. The food was affordable, the seating was immediate and the pictures on the wall were as random as ever. I ordered the standard two-egg breakfast which I chose to pair with bacon, white toast, and baked beans. I was particularly excited about the baked beans option as it was a pleasant change from the home fries that most other breakfast restaurants offer. Furthermore, it reminded me of a flatulent scene in the Mel Brooks classic Blazing Saddles.
A Blazing Saddles character enjoying beans
My sister chose to accompany me on the adventure (as she too had not eaten breakfast at home) and decided to get the French toast. All of the food was quite nice. It was not the best breakfast I have ever had but certainly up to par. The eggs were runny, the toast was warm and the beans were delicious – all in all a great feast. 
The author anxiously awaiting his baked beans
As alluded to before, what really makes Butterballs special is the décor. There are few other places in the area where you can see a picture of some sad clowns, a dated Atlanta Falcons picture, and a French soldier, all within several feet of each other. 




















This is the great charm of Butterballs: it has a very rural feel, it values art in its simplest form and casts off any modern idea of theme. The place is truly a one off. I also discovered that many of the items on the wall and shelves have price tags on them, as the property also serves as a flea market. All in all, if you are looking for a nice breakfast and a wild array of pictures on the wall, then Butterballs is the place for you.

Highlight: The baked beans!

Honourable Mention: The sad clown painting that provokes a whole world of emotion.


Bacon Strips: I give Butterballs three bacon strips out of five. The food was quite good but the portions were not quite as large as in other locales. 

6 comments:

  1. The name of this place alone intrigues me, but the clown picture scares me... Haha. Looks like a neat country location though, I'll have to check it out! - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique name, seems like a cute little place to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also made bacon in a pan and had them with white bread this morining. Pretended to eat something in that restaurant. The breakfast was really yummy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually never been to Butterballs, but I've heard it's a quirky staple in Jordan. I am intrigued by the baked beans- yum. And those random photos are so... random?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has certainly been a while since I have been to Butterballs. I think I live pretty close to it but can't remember its exact location. I do however remember the random pictures plastered on the walls. Really makes it unique. I will probably take a drive down there soon and check it out again.

    ReplyDelete