Pages

Thursday 19 February 2015

Silks Soothes the Soul


With my girlfriend away in Ireland for the month, I decided to take my mother out for a Valentine’s Day breakfast. We chose Silks in Virgil as we had heard it had a cheap breakfast that was quite good. Upon arrival I was embarrassed to see several people I went to high school with having breakfast with their spouses and young children. Needless to say sitting alone with my mother did not project the image of ‘functioning member of society’ that I am striving for these days.
'Functioning Member of Society'
However the breakfast itself was delicious. As advertised on the outside sign, you can get a two egg, two bacon, toast and home fry breakfast for a mere $3.49.
The $3.49 Breakfast Special
The service was very quick and we were enjoying our breakfast in no time. The restaurant was quite busy but it did not feel overly crowded or cramped. The cheap breakfast was very good. Ultimately the real selling point of Silks was the price and speed with which the meal was served. It’s tough to imagine finding a decent breakfast cheaper than $3.49 and for that reason the place scores very highly. Further it was not over-decorated with outrageous items all over the wall, but rather was painted in a soothing brown that made it feel like eating at a relative’s home.
Soothing brown paint and tastefully decorated
It is evident that Silks is a cornerstone of the Virgil community. It serves as a gathering place and a second home for many. I would certainly recommend Silks if you are looking for a quick, friendly and cheap breakfast. Just don’t go with your mother on Valentine’s Day.
My mother on Valentine's Day


Highlight: The price

Honourable mention: The soothing brown wall colours


Bacon strip rating: 4 strips!

5 comments:

  1. Looks great Doug! Nothing wrong with taking your mom for breakfast on valentines haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Silks... Cosmo's next or what?? - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be embarrassed about taking your Mom out! That was so nice of you- I hope you paid too! I've been here with my Dad before, too!
    Yummy. I'm hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The price is amazing for sure! under $4 for a great breakfast definitely deserves a high score. Will check it out if I'm ever in the area! Thanks Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I play hockey at the arena around the corner and that 4 dollar breakfast is a monthly staple in my life. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete